Monday, October 27, 2014

Reading Question

  1. On pp. 102-105, Art includes a copy of another graphic story, "Prisoner on Hell Planet," that he wrote about his mother's suicide. To what extent to you think the events of the Holocaust might have caused her suicide, and why do you think Art Speigelman chose to share "Prisoner on Hell Planet" in Maus.
I think that the envents in the holocaust might have played a pretty major factor in Art's mom's suicide but I'm sure that the way her life was after the Holocaust also must have played a part in that situation. Living life after a tragedy like the holocaust was very hard on everyone and I don't think its very unusual for people to not be able to integrate back into regular society. The weird thing is that the drawing done in the comic is very different than that of Maus and such is why I think he put it in the book to both give us a backround of him and his life, explaine a bit of story, and show what his other work is like all in one swoop. I think it worked pretty well and I enjoyed the change in style for those few pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment