Monday, February 9, 2015

Reading Question

  1. Having learned something about the Lost Generation in class, find a passage in this week's reading that reflects the feelings of many people after WWI. To what extent does this passage represent the worldview of the Lost Generation? Please copy the passage as part of your answer.
The statement I thought related to this was on page 36 and was of Myrtle talking about a huge list of physical possessions the she HAS to get: "My dear," she cried, "I'm going to give you this dress as soon as I'm through with it. I've got to get another one tomorrow. I'm going to make a list of all the things I've got to get. A massage and a wave, and a collar for the dog, and one of those cute little ashtrays where you touch a spring, and a wreath with a black silk bow for mothers grave that'll last all summer. I got to write a lost so I don't forget all the things I got to do."
I belive that this fascination with objects and shopping is one of the many feelings people had after the war because after having seen and been in situations with so much death and despair people felt a lack of emotions being ok and that frivolous things you can't touch and use are useless. I think this is displayed here with her need to purchase and buy more and have a new dress and all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment