Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Blog Post

What I learned around the world.
Throughout my life I have spent a majority of my time traveling as my mother, instead of spending extra money on frivolous extra toys, cars, electronics, or a mansion, has decided that money is best spent on experiences and learning. She has found that the best way to do this is to travel to different and exotic places and not to stay in the resorts there but instead to go to the places that show how the people there truly live and work. This has led to me going to over +55 countries in my life experiencing hundreds of different cultures and traditions celebrated by thousands of people in different countries. I have stepped foot on every continent (other than Antarctica which I would absolutely love to go to) and met tons of people all over the world and this has allowed me to forma very comprehensive list of peoples and histories not just from reading about them or hearing about them but by experiencing them and exploring their environments. I am now going to talk about some of the things I have learned from the world and its people that may make me seem jaded or it may seem incredibly above my years, I do not know for certain which it will be but as I grow and explore I know I will learn much more than I know right now. I believe that the world is much smaller than it seems and that people are all pretty much the same around the world. Everything is just people trying to do their best and no matter how skilled and calm they may seem there is always something that will rattle a person and there is always the constant that everyone is paying more attention to themselves than to anyone else so being nervous and scared to do or try anything because the other person or people will judge you is exactly how everyone else feels. The other HUGE thing I have learned is that really 90% of life is just showing up, which when I first heard about that I though was dumb but now makes a lot of sense. If you want anything all you have to do is try. Fewer people than you think have to guts to try in the first place so, for instance, if I were to want an internship somewhere if I went in and talked to and administrator there and had lunch with them and told them why I wanted to work there and how much it meant to me unless there were really no open spots, more than likely that person will say yes. Well those are all the "wise words" I can come up with for now so be sure to leave a comment! (well you do kinda have to as well so yea)

18 comments:

  1. Would you say that after all of these experiences you've changed for the better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you say that you have more knowledge than your years? Can you give an example?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, why would you want to go to Antartica?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome that you get a chance to travel often. What places did you find interesting? And what would you say the most interesting part about learning about other cultures is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was your favorite country that you have visited (so far)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the place(s) that you have visited that you have learned the most about the peoples' lifestyle and community?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How have your travels affected the way you perceive our society? Would you recommend traveling to everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, first off, I had no idea that you had been to so many countries! That's a lot of travel. Secondly, it's very wise of your mom to think in the way she does and to be interested in doing things like that with you. A lot of people cherry-pick destinations for sightseeing purposes in the prettier parts of the world (I mean, you can't really blame 'em), but she's taken a different/ more realistic route. Immersion and getting to experience various cultures is the best way to learn and truly get a grip of how others' lives are around the world-which I applaud her for- along with the gesture of passing that reality and true-ness onto you. Now, what's your plan for getting to Antarctica?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you think the increase of technology will affect traveling and experiencing other cultures in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very cool and smart how your mother gave you amazing experiences verse typical things such as toys and etc. Do you think children's knowledge would grow more and be better if more family taught their child the way your mom taught you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom's choice of spending money on hands-on educational experiences is quite fascinating! Your enthusiasm in going and talking about it is equally as so. Have your travels helped at all with your understanding of economical issues on a global standpoint? Has this helped build an interesting comparison between ours and foreign countries when it is discussed in IHSS or ELA?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait what. You travel as your mother??

    Why do you think people seem to be the same all around the world? When do you think you will go to Antarctica, if at all? What was your favorite place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you have kids, will you raise them like this? Spending money on travelling, instead of trinkets, and not going to resorts? Did you enjoy your experiences so much that you will give your kids (if you have kids) the same chance to gather this knowledge and travel to places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where would you visit while you were in Antartica?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You say that people tend to be the center of their own lives. If people perceive themselves as the center of the universe instinctually, then does that make everyone's logic fallible?
    -
    Experiences are interesting but without background knowledge, do you think them to be as valuable? You seem to have gained life lessons from these trips but I'm curious as to whether or not they resulted in more of a factual lesson about people or a deeper, more metaphysical truth about the nature of human beings.
    What divides people the most from what you've seen?
    -
    I agree that trying is the only way to get somewhere in life from your own efforts. Do you try your best at everything or only try in places you know you're more likely than not to succeed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. what's been like the most interesting experience you've had so far?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jordan - your peers have asked you a lot of questions. It would be nice if you would take the time to answer them.

    ReplyDelete